For the episode, see 0-8-4.
0-8-4 is a codename for an object of unknown origin that is checked by a team to determine if it is useful or poses a threat. An 0-8-4 is therefore both exciting, and filled with potential, and a viable hazard of a very high order. Coulson looks upon Skye in the light of an 0-8-4, a status confirmed in "Seeds".
The original 0-8-4, and the source of the designation, was the Obelisk, taken into SSR custody by Agent Carter and the Howling Commandos in 1945. It was previously in the possession of HYDRA and specifically Dr. Daniel Whitehall.
- Skye: I don't even know where we're going.
- Coulson: Peru. That's where the 0-8-4 was reported.
- Skye: And an 0-8-4 is... ?
- Coulson: An object of unknown origin. Kind of like you. Team goes in determines if it's useful or if it poses a threat. Last one turned out to be pretty interesting.
- Skye: And what was the last one?
- Coulson: A hammer.
- ―Coulson talking to Skye about the 0-8-4 they're looking for with a reference to Thor.