Lorelei is an Asgardian sorceress, known for having a hypnotic effect on men that allows her to bend them to her will. She shares her name and powers with a German literary figure that has become a modern myth.
Lorelei is a native of Asgard, like Thor and Lady Sif. There, she had been notorious for enchanting men under her will to create armies for conquering the Nine Realms, even placing Thor under her spell at some point. Eventually, she is captured and placed in a dark cell with an Asgardian collar around her neck, to prevent her from speaking. She had stayed there for the next 600 years until she finally escaped (off-screen, during the events of Thor: The Dark World) to Earth through one of Loki's secret passage ways.
She lands in Death Valley and encounters Jimmy McKenzie, a newlywed waiting for his wife in front of a motel. Lorelei enchants him and orders him to provide transportation, abandoning his new wife at the motel.
She is later seen at a bar, where she enchants a biker named Dwayne and the rest of his biker gang, along with a few police officers. When Phil Coulson arrives with Melinda May, Lady Sif and Grant Ward, she uses her band of seduced men to hold them off, and then enchants Ward when he is found alone.
Now having Ward in her service, she is taken to Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. There she sleeps with Ward and later expresses her concerns of having Sif after her, realizing that she will never have peace with Sif hunting her down. She is later taken to The Bus by Ward to "eliminate the threat".
When Coulson and May begin to take back the plane, however, she is tricked into the interrogation room and is trapped inside with Sif. After a hand-and-blade brawl, she is overpowered by Sif and has the silencing collar placed back on her, breaking her hold on Fitz and Ward. Afterwards, she is taken away by Sif, back to her Asgardian prison.
- Mind Control: Lorelei has a unique form of sexual-based mind control. A man who hears Lorelei's voice will fall in love with her and will do anything she commands. If a man has a strong will to resist her, Lorelei can enhance her power by touching them as she speaks. According to Lady Sif, men have an inherent weakness that Lorelei exploits and uses to bend them to her will.
- Superhuman Strength: She has the natural strength of an Asgardian female. She was able to fight the superhumanly strong Lady Sif and even bested her once. She defeated Melinda May with a single blow.
- Superhuman Durability: She has the durability of an average Asgardian woman. She was able to withstand strong blows from Lady Sif.
- Superhuman Agility: She also has the enhanced agility and speed of any Asgardian.
- Superhuman Stamina: Like any Asgardian, she tires much more slowly than the average human being.
- Healing Factor/Regeneration: As with any Asgardian, their natural healing abilities are much faster than those of a normal human being.
- Superhuman Longevity: She is an extremely long lived, which is again typically Asgardian.
- Combat Skills: Lorelei has extensive combat training, being able to fight the Asgardian Warrior Lady Sif and even best her once before her arrival on Earth.
- In the Marvel Comics universe, Lorelei is the younger sister of Amora the Enchantress, and equally inclined to use seduction and wiles to bend men to her will. Previous 'targets' have included Thor himself.
- The Lorelei is a figure associated with the rock of the same name at the Rhine in Germany. Originally a fictional character from 19th century German literature, she has passed into general culture and is often mistaken for an old myth. A female figure of the name, who already had an allure and hypnotic effect on men, was first created in a 1801 poem by Clemens Brentano. The version that has become the modern myth stems from the 1824 poem by Heinrich Heine, where the Lorelei is described as a figure singing above the Rhine, similar to the Greek Siren, and thus luring boatmen to their deaths on the rocks. There are also certain commonalities with the Slavic Rusalka.