|Airdate||April 29, 2014|
|Written by||Paul Zbyszewski & DJ Doyle|
|Directed by||Billy Gierhart|
|Previous||"The Only Light in the Darkness"|
The episode starts with Maria Hill leaving a debrief with Congress regarding S.H.I.E.L.D, speaking with Pepper Potts about the day's events and the obvious tails following her. The tails are suddenly incapacitated, and Hill finds herself facing Melinda May in an alleyway. May asks Hill to help Coulson, expressing her concerns that Coulson may be compromised and HYDRA leader Alexander Pierce may have been behind his neural "reprogramming" in the T.A.H.I.T.I. program. May asks to speak with Director Fury and Hill insists he is dead, which May does not believe.
In the Providence bunker, the agents are watching footage that demonstrates that May has left the team, and that Grant Ward and Skye left together, hand-in-hand, on the Bus. Agent Koenig is nowhere to be found. Confused by the events, the team disperses to make dinner, when Fitz discovers a hidden message from Skye that says "Ward is HYDRA." At the same time, Simmons finds Koenig's body. Realizing that Skye has uncovered Ward's duplicity, the team, after overcoming their shock, decide to pursue Ward to rescue Skye. As they prepare to leave, US Special forces led by Colonel Glenn Talbot swarm the Providence bunker - Agent Hill has led them to Coulson's location.
Talbot threatens prison for Coulson’s team, but Coulson informs Hill of Ward's betrayal. She and Coulson incapacitate the Special Forces, and the team heads out to intercept Skye and Ward. Skye, in the meantime, has led Ward to the diner where she first met Mike Peterson in the Pilot episode, and is delaying the decryption of her hard drive. While stalling, she alerts the Police to their whereabouts, and the police attempt to apprehend the two S.H.I.E.L.D agents. Ward overpowers them, but Skye attempts to flee in a Police vehicle. However, she is stopped by Deathlok, who takes her back to the Bus. She refuses to help Ward and Deathlok decrypt the harddrive, and expresses her hatred of Ward, despite his insistence that his feelings for her are real. Deathlok uses one of his weapons to induce a heart attack by "stopping" Ward's heart, and Skye gives in to save him, agreeing to decrypt the drive. She reveals that the harddrive encryption is tied to altitude, stating that they must be at 35,000ft for the drive to unlock. While preparing to take off, Ward is confronted by Hill in Garrett's old aircraft, who threatens him, but Ward calls her bluff stating that Coulson would never risk Skye, and takes off anyway. However, Hill's delay allowed Coulson time to sneak on board via the wheel well.===
Coulson finds Skye and plans to take down Ward, but he doesn't know about Deathlok’s presence. That necessitates a new plan; running away. Skye and Coulson retreat to Lola and, under fire from Ward and Deathlok, drop out of the sky and plummet towards LA. Lola’s thrusters kick in at the last second and they fly to the ground.
May returns with the harddrive she recovered from Coulson's grave. On it is a video of Coulson, discussing the T.A.H.I.T.I program that was developed to save a critically injured Avenger. Coulson discusses the negative outcomes of the program and recommends it be shut down.
- Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson
- Ming-Na Wen as Melinda May
- Brett Dalton as Grant Ward
- Iain De Caestecker as Leo Fitz
- Elizabeth Henstridge as Jemma Simmons
- Chloe Bennet as Skye
- Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill
- J. August Richards as Mike Peterson/Deathlok
- Adrian Pasdar as Colonel Glenn Talbot
- B.J. Britt as Agent Antoine Triplett
- Josh Breeding as a parking attendant
- More than "Hail Hydra", "Nothing personal" seems to be the mantra particularly of the S.H.I.E.L.D. turncoats, his attackers saying the same thing to Cap in the Triskelion elevator in "Winter Soldier".
- The person whom Maria Hill was talking to on the cell phone was Pepper Potts.
- The audience learns, in this episode, that following the events of Project Insight, Maria Hill is now working for Stark Industries, thus privatizing global security.
- Ward: "I was on a mission. It wasn't personal."
- Skye: "It wasn't… you did not just say that! It wasn't personal?!"
- Ward: "Skye, listen to me."
- Skye: "God, you might actually believe that. You…that is… that is the twisted logic that they teach you when you sign up to be a Nazi."
- Ward: "Stop. Wait. I'm not a Nazi."
- Skye: "Yes, you are. That is exactly what you are. It's in the S.H.I.E.L.D. handbook, chapter one. The Red Skull—founder of HYDRA—was a big fat freakin' Nazi."
- Ward: "That has nothing to do with today."
- Skye: "You know, you always had that Hitler Youth look to you, so it's really not that surprising."
- ―Ward and Skye discuss his loyalties.[src]
- Ward: "You know how I feel about you, Skye."
- Skye: "Wait. So, even though you've been lying… to everyone… about everything… you're saying that your feelings for me—"
- Ward: "They're real, Skye. They always have been."
- Skye: "[inhales sharply] I'm gonna throw up."
- ―Ward and Skye[src]
- Hill: "I never figured you for John Garrett's lap dog."
- Ward: "A lot of us lost respect for Fury when he picked you as his second. If he needed eye candy around, he could have at least picked Romanoff."
- Hill: "[chuckling] That's funny. I'll tell her you said that."
- ―Maria Hill and Grant Ward[src]
- Coulson: "We've got the take the cockpit."
- Skye: "Wait. You came alone?"
- Coulson: "It's okay. I can take Ward."
- Skye: "No. I know, but how did you get past Deathlok?"
- Coulson: "Deathlok's here? On the plane?"
- Skye: "Yeah. You didn't take him out?"
- Coulson: "[Deathlok approaches] New plan—run!"
- ―Coulson after rescuing Skye[src]
- Hill: "Wow. I can't believe he shot Lola."
- Coulson: "I can't talk about it."
- ―Discussing Lola[src]
- Phil Coulson
- Leo Fitz
- John Garrett (mentioned only)
- Maria Hill
- Eric Koenig (corpse)
- Melinda May
- Mike Peterson/Deathlok
- Jemma Simmons
- Glenn Talbot
- Antoine Triplett
- Grant Ward
- Washington D.C.
- Canadian Wilderness
- Los Angeles, California
- The Fridge (Satellite feed)
Weapons and TechnologyEdit