Robert Bruce Banner is a scientist specializing in the field of gamma radiation. When trying to recreate Captain America's super soldier serum by using gamma rays, Bruce Banner was overexposed to the radiation, but rather than being killed by the gamma rays, he was instead mutated into the "strongest one there is", The (Incredible) Hulk.
In Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. both his work as a scientist and his infamous role as The Hulk have been referenced. His scientific achievements have been more heavily referred to rather than him also being The Hulk in the series. Dr. Banner himself speaks of "the other guy", never using the term "Hulk" or anything similar for his alter ego.
- Genius Intelligence: He has a genius-level intelligence, especially mastering the science of gamma radiation. His increased emotional intelligence enables him to have better control over his Hulk persona. He is also an accomplished doctor, helping the sick in India. His also skilled in speaking English, as well as Spanish and Hindi. He is even capable of going undercover, hiding from the eyes of the government for years.
- Enhanced Immunity: His gamma radiated blood makes him impervious to disease.
- Transformation: He has the ability to transform into a humanoid green being with gigantism. In this state, he gains a massive increase in strength, enough to outclass the Asgardians and even destroy a Chitauri Leviathan with a single strike. He has superhuman levels of stamina, speed and durability. He cannot be exhausted by physical combat unless it goes on without a break for days, and can move and react slightly faster than Captain America himself. His durability allowed him to survive a powerful strike to the face from Mjolnir as well as be immune to high-level ballistic attacks and missiles. He also gains a very high rate of cellular regeneration, healing injuries caused while he was Bruce Banner, even extensive brain damages. Whenever his body produces more adrenaline, whether it be excitement, agitation or anger, his strength, stamina, reflexes, durability and regeneration are further increased to even higher levels.
- The Incredible Hulk (portrayed by Edward Norton)
- The Avengers (portrayed by Mark Ruffalo)
- Iron Man 3 (post-credit cameo)
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (mentioned)
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (AWOL at end)