|Turn, Turn, Turn|
|Gallery||Turn, Turn, Turn|
|Airdate||April 8, 2014|
|Written by||Jed Whedon & Maurissa Tancharoen|
|Directed by||Vincent Misiano|
|Previous||"End Of The Beginning"|
"Turn, Turn, Turn" is the seventeenth episode in Season 1 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on ABC. The episode was aired on April 8, 2014.
Coulson and his team find themselves without anyone they can trust, only to discover that they are trapped with a traitor in their midst.
Opening up where "End Of The Beginning" left off, May is still held at gunpoint in the Bus's cargo hold, where she continues to deny working for the Clairvoyant. She then admits that the encrypted line wasn't to the Clairvoyant, but to Director Fury himself. She then demands to know why Fitz was sneaking around the plane's comm room with an encrypted line of his own, forcing Coulson to question if Fitz is, in fact, the team's traitor. Fitz denies the status as a traitor and admits that he was trying to talk to Simmons, who is still at the Hub, trying to analyze Skye's blood for information on GH.325. While Skye tries to contact the Hub, Coulson shoots May with his ICER and Garrett contacts them in the Bus due to an emergency: S.H.I.E.L.D. has fired at him with drones, and Garrett needs Coulson and his team to get him out of there. Coulson and Fitz keep May in the interrogation room with Ward and then manage to shoot down the drones that were chasing Garrett. After the drones are destroyed, Garrett joins the others aboard the Bus, where Coulson briefs the remainder of his team on the identity of the real Clairvoyant: Agent Victoria Hand herself. At first, Garrett defends Hand from such an accusation, but Skye later decrypts the noise in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s communication systems and reveals a message from HYDRA, activating multiple sleeper agents that have been embedded in S.H.I.E.L.D.
Back at the Hub, Hand orders a group of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents that remained loyal to her to attack the Bus the moment it lands, despite objections from Agent Shaw. Meanwhile, Simmons and Triplett barricade themselves inside a lab after receiving a warning of an attack from Agent Weaver at the S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy. Hand and her agents then bust into the lab and threaten to kill the two agents them if they don't swear their loyalty to HYDRA. After Triplett takes one of her agents hostage, Hand reveals the situation to actually be a test, and that she and her loyal agents are still with S.H.I.E.L.D. She reveals that her recent actions are due to her finding evidence that points at Coulson and his team being the traitors, not Hand.
Meanwhile, the Bus lands at the Hub. Coulson brings May out and demands that she contact Fury, but she is shot in the arm as S.H.I.E.L.D. agents attack the plane. After taking care of the attack, Coulson's team infiltrates the Hub, armed with ICERs, and split up. Ward and Skye decide to head to the nerve center while the rest of the team tries to get to Simmons and Triplett. However, Garrett disagrees with Coulson's plan and argues they should head straight for Hand. While listing the wrongs the Clairvoyant has done to Coulson to try to convince him of his own view, Garrett slips and mentions something Coulson never told anyone: what he discussed with Raina when he was kidnapped ("Girl in the Flower Dress"). Realizing Garrett's true colors, Coulson interrogates Garrett. Then, a team of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents bursts in and holds the agents at gunpoint. When Garrett mentions Agent Sitwell, half of the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents holding them - revealing themselves as HYDRA sleeper agents - turns on the other half, taking out any S.H.I.E.L.D. loyalty in their team. Garrett then joins them, revealing himself to be the real Clairvoyant.
After showing his true allegiance, Garrett orders the HYDRA agents to kill Coulson's team when they refuse to swear allegiance to HYDRA. Suddenly, the bomb Skye and Ward had planted goes off, providing a distraction for Coulson and May to get the upper hand on the HYDRA agents. May easily takes out the HYDRA agents while Coulson and Garrett fight one-on-one. After a brief fight, Garrett manages to get the upper hand on Coulson. Just as Garrett is about to kill Coulson, a stun grenade from Fitz knocks him out and saves Coulson. After this, Hand comes in with her team and takes Garrett into custody. Hand was able to hear everything that went on between Coulson's agents and the HYDRA traitors, and clears Coulson of suspicion as a traitor to S.H.I.E.L.D.
Despite S.H.I.E.L.D. being disbanded, Hand and her agents take Garrett to the Fridge, where he will presumably be imprisoned for the rest of his life. Ward requests to be the one who personally locks his former S.O. in his cell. While on the plane to Alaska, Hand suggests to Ward that he should kill Garrett instead. Ward agrees and loads his gun, but instead turns and shoots the two agents guarding Garrett, before shooting Hand in the stomach. As she bleeds out on the plane's floor, he puts two more in her head, and shows Garrett his true allegiance with HYDRA.
Still on the plane, Agent Hand lays dead while Garrett tells Ward the same old battle story he told Coulson earlier. Ward isn't paying attention, apparently lost in thought before he dramatically looks up in Garrett's direction.
Main Cast Edit
- Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson
- Ming-Na Wen as Melinda May
- Brett Dalton as Grant Ward
- Iain De Caestecker as Leo Fitz
- Elizabeth Henstridge as Jemma Simmons
- Chloe Bennet as Skye
Guest Starring Edit
- Bill Paxton as John Garrett
- Saffron Burrows as Victoria Hand
- Christine Adams as Agent Anne Weaver
- B.J. Britt as Agent Antoine Triplett
- Charles Halford as Agent Shaw
- James Macdonald as Agent Jacobson
- Dayo Ade as Agent Barbour
- Kylie Furneaux as Agent Shade
- Alex Daniels as Agent Chaimson
- Braden Moran as Agent Jones
- Cameron Diskin as Agent Baylin
- Antoine Triplett: "But hey, if we get questioned, let me talk. You're a surprisingly bad liar."
- Jemma Simmons: "I know. But I'm getting better at it."
- Phil Coulson: "Cut off a head, two more will take its place."
- John Garrett: "Is it a head? I thought it was a limb."
- Leo Fitz: "No no no, it's a head."
- Coulson: 'We fly in and face the music. Even if it is the HYDRA theme song '
- Victoria Hand: "The worst thing you can do right now is underestimate HYDRA. They hide in plain sight; they earn our trust, our sympathy. They make us like them, and when you hesitate, they strike. If we're to survive, we must learn to strike first."
- Jemma Simmons: "He is a good man!"
- Victoria Hand: "He's a liar!"
- Victoria Hand: "Director Fury is dead."
- John Garrett: "Hail HYDRA."
- The HYDRA logo appears instead of the SHIELD one at the end of the episode (see above).
- The British broadcast of this episode on Channel 4 is edited so that Ward only shoots Hand once - she then drops out of shot. The show broadcasts before the 9pm 'watershed' when more adult content, such as the head shots, is allowed.
- However, RTÉ Two, who airs the show in Ireland, showed the episode uncut at 5pm.
- Phil Coulson
- Leopold "Leo" Fitz
- John Garrett
- Victoria Hand
- Melinda May
- Jemma Simmons
- Antoine Triplett
- Grant Ward
- Anne Weaver
- The Fridge
- The Hub
- S.H.I.E.L.D. East African Headquarters
- The Treehouse
- The Triskelion
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy of Science and Technology
Weapons and TechnologyEdit